Families like yours have been buying furnishings from the McGregor family since 1896. McGregors, Iowa’s oldest family-owned furniture store, began in 1896 when James R. McGregor and partner, Charles Stull, opened Stull and McGregor in Oskaloosa.
The original store was destroyed by fire in 1904. The partners divided up the assets and James R. McGregor rebuilt the store the following year. The new store opened under the new name of McGregors.
James’ sons James Jr. (Sandy) and Charles (CD) joined the business in the early 1920’s.
In 1928, Charles moved to Marshalltown and opened up the second McGregors location on West Main Street.
In the 1950’s McGregors sold carpet from large rolls. However, in the early 1900’s carpet came to McGregors in 27” widths. The lengths of carpet then had to be sewn together in the backroom before being delivered to the customer.
Today, Erin McGregor, James McGregor’s Great-Granddaughter, is President and Marshalltown is home to the McGregors corporate headquarters.